WHAT TYPE OF ATTACKS ARE THE MOST EXPENSIVE?
Average total costs
$5.01M, business email compromise attacks
$4.65M, phishing attacks
$4.61M, malicious insiders
$4.47M, social engineering
$4.37M, compromised credentials
WHAT’S THE LINK BETWEEN BREACHES AND WORKING FROM HOME?
Remote work can leave the network more vulnerable to attacks.
$5.54M average cost of breach at organizations with 81%-100% of employees working remotely
$4.39M average cost of breach with 61%-80% of employees working remotely
$1M average higher cost for breaches that involve remote working
WHAT DIFFERENCE DO SECURITY AND CLOUD ENVIRONMENTS MAKE?
80% cost difference where security AI and automation were fully deployed
$3.61M, average cost of breach in hybrid cloud environments; $1.19M less than public cloud breaches
WHAT ARE THE SOLUTIONS?
- Take a “zero trust” security approach. Organizations with a mature stage of zero trust deployment had an average breach cost $1.76M less than others.
- Stress test incident response plans to increase cyber resilience. Those that took this measure had an average breach cost $2.46M less than others.
- Implement security orchestration, automation and response (SOAR) to improve detection and response times.
- Use tools that protect and monitor remote employees’ technology endpoints.
- Invest in governance, risk management and compliance programs.
- Use encryption to protect sensitive data in cloud environments.
- Optimize an open security architecture.
- Minimize the complexity of IT and security environments.
Source: “Cost of a Data Breach Report, 2021.” Research by Ponemon Institute, sponsored by IBM Security, July 2021.