MANY MILLENNIALS SUFFER FROM A HEALTH CONDITION
- 1/3 of millennials have a health condition that reduces their quality of life and life expectancy.
- 44% of older millennials have a chronic health condition.
o Migraine headaches, major depression and asthma are the three most common ailments.
o Those with at least one chronic condition spend twice as much on out-of-pocket healthcare expenses than those without any medical issues.
o Those with two concurrent chronic health issues spend five times as much.
MENTAL HEALTH IS AN ONGOING CHALLENGE
- 47% increase in major-depression diagnoses for millennials since 2013.
- 40% of millennials are estimated to have a mental health condition.
- Nearly 1/3 of millennials have some type of behavioral health problem.
- Millennials are more likely to seek help for a mental health issue than any other age group.
MILLENNIAL HEALTHCARE IS CONSUMED VIRTUALLY AND IN-OFFICE
- 62% of millennials prefer in-person visits with healthcare providers but want visits to focus on care and not administrative tasks.
- 44% may switch providers if virtual visits aren’t offered.
A DISCONNECT BETWEEN PRIORITIZING CARE AND HAVING A PROVIDER
- Millennials place a higher priority on health and wellness than any other generation.
- Millennials’ greatest concern in life is healthcare/disease prevention.
- 1/3 of millennials do not have a primary care physician.
CONNECT WITH MILLENNIALS BY CONNECTING WITH YOUR GPO
Healthcare providers can appeal to millennials by working with their group purchasing organization to:
- Provide target marketing for this demographic
- Enable virtual care and digital capabilities
- Drive higher online ratings, which are important to millennials
- Reach millennials through social media
Yahoo! Finance, “Millennials are in poor health — and it’s driving up health insurance costs,” May 2021.
CNBC Make It, “44% of older millennials already have a chronic health condition. Here’s what that means for their futures,” May 2021.
MeMD, “Gen Z and Millennials: What They Want from Healthcare,” October 2021.
Mental Health Foundation, “Millennials and Mental Health.”
A2dd, “Mental Health Marketing: How to Reach Millennials in 2022.”
PYMNTS, “New Report: Healthcare Morphing Into HealthTech as Millennials Go for Digital Doctoring,” September 2021.
+Progressive Grocer, “Millennials Move Health and Wellness Market in New Ways,” November 2021.
Deloitte, “The Deloitte Global 2022 Gen Z and Millennial Survey,” 2022.